If you use kitchen knives regularly, you know how important it is to keep them sharp. Dull knives not only make your work more difficult and time-consuming, but they can also be dangerous. In this article, we'll go over the steps to sharpen your kitchen knives using a rod.
What You'll Need
- A sharpening rod
- A cutting board
- Your dull kitchen knife
- Place the cutting board on a stable surface, like a countertop, and put a damp towel underneath to keep it from sliding around.
- Hold the sharpening rod in your non-dominant hand and place the tip of the rod on the cutting board.
- Hold the knife in your dominant hand and place the heel of the blade against the rod at a 20-degree angle.
- Starting at the base of the blade, drag the knife down the rod while maintaining the angle. Apply gentle pressure and repeat this process 5-10 times on each side of the blade.
- Repeat the process with a slightly lighter touch, making sure to maintain the angle.
- Finish by running the blade lightly down the rod, alternating sides until you feel that your knife is sharp enough.
- Wash your knife and rod with soap and water and dry them completely.
Sharpening your kitchen knives with a rod is an easy and effective way to keep them in top condition. With a little practice, you'll be able to sharpen your knives quickly and safely, making your time in the kitchen more enjoyable and efficient.